Monday, October 24, 2011

Holiday Express

It happened again. I was walking down an aisle at the pharmacy minding my own business and I ran smack dab into the center of Christmas. I did a double take. Why am I being bombarded with trees, cards, stockings and all the other guilt (gelt) of the Holidays to come I wondered?  Last time I checked a calendar it was still about a week til Halloween. Is this an overly Christmas"y" version of The Nightmare Before Christmas? I hoped, but knew it was not.


Under the best of circumstances no one is prepared for the onslaught of forced holiday cheer that December unleashes upon the masses. When you are bombarded with the sales of the season before the season officially begins, it makes it all the worse to bear. A nice break between each holiday would allow us the opportunity to properly prepare and perhaps even enjoy the thought of shopping til we drop for those we love dearly.

Unfortunately, every year it seems the stores get worse. Costco actually started Christmas deals at the beginning of October. The malls as a whole are beginning to decorate store windows in their finest holiday outlooks. Thrift Sores and even the bargain stores ( 99cent store, Ross, Tuesday Morning) are starting early to get you in on last year's deals before you get in on this year's deals. This Sucks! I hate being rushed through my holidays. Halloween for ME is the most wonderful time of the year and I refuse to share it with Santa, a tree, reindeer or any wise men unless they are walking the streets of West Hollywood on All Hallows Eve.

 It appears that only one major chain realizes the folly of this  over zealous sales tactic. That store, believe it or not, would be Nordstroms.  They believe each holiday deserves a proper moment in time to be enjoyed rather than exploited. They do not put up any Christmas items until the day after Thanksgiving. I applaud their sensibility and wish other stores were as pragmatic in their thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment