Monday, April 30, 2012

Don't Check Me In

Why are we checking in to any place that's not an airport or a hotel? Why are our friends trying to check us in? Who thought that giving a precise map to the location was a good idea?If you are online and not aware of all the possibilities then you have been at some point and time checked in. There are apparently rewards waiting for those people in to this idea. I however am not fond of this particular form of online intrigue.

I am just as guilty as everyone else for tagging photos of people who are with me at public events. I try my best to keep the tagging to a minimum and to the particularly pretty shots. The pictures of us all together after the event that will be posted are wonderful memories. I like the online ability to share the moment. It's as if photo albums found a new life where they are not being brought out to unsuspecting guests but instead left out for those with the desire to peruse to do so. This to me is information enough for any who cares.

 I do not like the idea that someone, even a friend, has the ability to tell the world at large EXACTLY where I am when I am ACTUALLY there. I have personally turned off all of those permissions on my various accounts because I will tell anyone the following, "Don't check me in." As a single woman, I find it a bit unnerving that a map to my precise whereabouts can be generated to show you how to get to me too. If I want you to know where I am, I alone should be responsible for telling you.

I don't need to be the mayor. I don't care about the free stuff. I already am free advertising just by my posting that I went to your restaurant, movie, concert and the like. I do not need to be checked in and have the coordinates of my journey plotted for all to see.  I just don't get how this is useful beyond the free stuff someone receives especially when that someone is not me. We all draw our intrusive line. Here's where I draw mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment