Monday, June 25, 2012

3D technology

My best friend has finally seen the light and is no longer obsessed with 3D technology. I discovered this as she apologized for forcing me to watch Brave on Friday in 3D.  The only open screening of it left that night was in 3D and as she doesn't get to go out that often (Mom's have a busy schedule) we paid the extra cash to see the movie. I honestly feel it would have been better suited as a standard film as the few 3D elements used served no real purpose to draw you in to the film or ad to the integrity of the script.

In the 50's 3D was new and exciting;an innovation in the film industry and used to allow a generation an opportunity to explore like never before. Today, it is overused, underdone and overrated. To me it is nothing but an excuse to get consumers to shell out extra dollars for a film that might just possibly be using technology to hide the lack of creativity in it's script. Despicable me only had one scene where 3D was needed. Avatar, although it appropriately used 3D, was just as great to me without it (I saw it in both formats) I really didn't need to run through the jungle to get the point of the chase. More and more films keep coming out with 3D versions. Less and less of them are appropriately used or even done well. Do we really need to see either Justin Beiber or Katie Perry in 3D? Why on earth is there about to be a version of the Great Gatsby in 3D? It's ridiculous.

With all the various ways to watch movies today the film industry and theaters are losing money. Theaters make there profit primarily on concessions and films today are making there profit on the extra dollars sitting in 3d seats. I live in a 3D world. I know what it's like. A well done film will transport me into it without the need for glasses. Who knows what would happen If we actually stopped sitting in the dark with glasses on, maybe they would actually go back to movies based on acting, strong characters and story lines or perhaps they would  make the technology truly worth our while or cease and desist with this stage of the film industries development.  Stranger things have been known to happen.

1 comment:

  1. Until studios start loosing money on these 3D films, they'll keep making them. Katy Perry is in 3D?

    ReplyDelete