Monday, January 27, 2014

Adventures in the Land of We


     It's amazing how quickly a world can change. My neighbors all ask me about my other half. How is he, where is he, who is he (boyfriend, fiance, husband) are now commonplace questions. It's as if I am now no longer allowed to be me. I am a "we" and must be in close proximity of my other half at all times. It fascinates me that this identity shift occurs. It's amazing how a couple just slips into this because everyone around them guides them along the way. It concerns me that this very public acknowledgment makes it so difficult to be a single entity. I am a bit miffed that my me-ness has been usurped by the we of us.  Don't get me wrong, the we of us makes me happy but the me in me is fighting to maintain her identity.

     The other evening, I made meatloaf. He washed dishes. I did some work and then we took a walk in the neighborhood stopping off at the store to buy rice milk before returning home. Once home I made tea. We drank it while watching the news and then drifted off to the land of dreams. Living in domesticity is a very different reality. I like it's simplicity. I enjoy having a partner in crime. It's been four months and he is still alive. I think I like him and this is definitely a beautiful thing. Having someone who can join in your crazy or appreciate it in all its glory is key to maintaining a healthy relationship. Here's to my crazy we. I guess sometimes it really isn't all about me.

No comments:

Post a Comment